Principal Mechanical Engineer
Located in Salem, MA Titan Advanced Energy Solutions develops and tests industry-leading, ultrasound-based battery diagnostics systems for applications in electric vehicles, consumer electronics, stationary storage, and 2nd life market for re-purposing of used EV batteries. With numerous awards and grants, and a recent B-Round of funding, Titan is ramping up our fantastic team for an exciting next phase of growth.
We are seeking a Principal Mechanical Engineer to be part of a cross-functional team responsible for developing and delivering new fit-for-purpose BMS product offerings, adapting commercially available technologies and leading in-house development. Reporting to the Head of Systems Engineering, these efforts will directly support key Titan business opportunities making Titan the partner of choice for customers who want leading-edge battery management technology.
A successful candidate for this role will be an innovative system-level thinker, with exemplary mechanical engineering abilities to create designs that solve challenging problems.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Manage all aspects of mechanical engineering projects from concept through detailed design, prototyping and testing.
- Enhance the workability and usability of our product-in-development, Scorpion, specifically in the arm development and its programmability.
- Understand and support our device platform strategy through flexible and robust designs that will be part of the device system architecture. Propose design solutions based on assessment of situations or data, and evaluation of design variables and associated trade-offs
- Understand product requirements, develop product specifications, create and execute V&V testing, complete relevant documentation, and review with cross-functional stakeholders.
- Create and manage to product development schedules and budgets
- Create and manage SolidWorks CAD models, drawings and assemblies
- Manage top level assemblies in a PDM system environment
- Control drawing and model releases through the engineering change process
- Track assembly and part costs
- Source off the shelf components to be used in product designs
- Relay design and engineering intent within cross functional product development teams.
- Step into other roles as necessary to assist with the completion of high priority projects
- Direct efforts of junior team members (supervisory role available depending on candidate experience)
- Participation in team meetings, collaborating on efficiencies and mentoring colleagues
- Other duties as the team needs
Required experience in most or all the following:
- Minimum BS degree in Mechanical Engineering with 10+ years progressively responsible experience in new product development.
- Proven experience bringing products from concept through successful product launch is highly desired.
- Significant experience using SolidWorks for CAD modeling and detailing.
- Extensive experience with prototype manufacturing, 3D printing, component manufacturing and subsystem assembly, and design for manufacturability techniques.
- Experience designing products for cost-effective, high-volume production.
- Ability to provide creative, yet pragmatic solutions to complex engineering problems.
- Excellent analytical skills including statistical analysis, DOE, experimental design, or Six Sigma principles.
- Working knowledge of engineering principles and practices including drafting standards and tolerance analysis methods
- Knowledge of hazard and risk analysis approaches and design for regulatory compliance
- Working knowledge of mechanics, electrical power management and/or electromagnetics, and heat transfer.
- Understanding of sheet metal, machining and welding techniques
- Ability to understand existing mechanisms and visualize improvements
- Demonstrated ability to lead and mentor engineers to complete projects
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a fast-moving team
- Attention to detail and organization
- Teamwork, integrity, positive attitude, and professionalism.
Nice to Have’s:
- Experience designing equipment for high volume assembly lines is a plus
- Experience using engineering analysis and modeling tools (FEA, Thermo, CFD, etc.)
- Experience in the use of collaborative project management tools is a plus
- Experience working with contract manufacturers and external production companies
- Experience working with high-frequency transducers; Working knowledge of ultrasound a strong plus.
- Experience designing Battery Management Systems
- Design for low-power systems
- Bias to action and entrepreneurial spirit
- Trustworthy & full of integrity
- Compassionate and highly empathetic
- Collaborative and capable of building consensus internally and externally
- Passion for clean energy and a desire to take an active part in shaping a new paradigm
Titan welcomes applicants from every background – our diversity helps us thrive and serve our customers and each other. All employment decisions are based on qualifications, merit and business needs, without discrimination or bias. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at email@example.com